Friday, May 22, 2015

The One and Only Ivan (2012)

This book by Katherine Applegate, winner of The Newbery Medal Award, really got to my heart. It's the story of a gorilla named 'Ivan' who lived for some 20 years in a mall in a city of the United Staes. The narrative is based on a true story. 

What really appeals to the reader's feelings is the fact that you learn the story from the gorilla's point of view. You get phrases such as:

Three visitors are here: a woman, a boy, a girl. 
I strut across my domain (cage) for them. I dangle from my tire swing. I eat three banana peels in a row.
The boy spits at my window. The girl throws a handful of peebles.
Sometimes I'm glad the glass is there. 




 Ivan and his other animals friends have to grow to be able to change their lives; and, we, the readers, discover animals that seem to be more `human' than the people who surround them

Now that the debate regarding the rights of the animals and how people endanger their lives is on, this book gives us a new perspective to examine our own position towards them.

Highly recommended for pre-teens (10-12 years old) 

(On the other hand, I'm 34 years old and I've loved it!!!!)
                               

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYL2LxotA8

Ana Ovejero

mail: ana.ovejero@gmail.com
instagram:ananbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment